w.a.v.e.s. festival 2016
w.a.v.e.s. (Windsor's Artists, Visions, Energies & Sculptures) was a two-day festival connecting communities through waves of art, culture and technology. (September 30 and October 1 2016)
Thank you! to all who attended and shared in the unexpected at w.a.v.e.s. 2016. Special thank you to all the artists, performers, partners and supporters for a wonderful year.
Did you attend
w.a.v.e.s festival 2016?
We want to know what you loved best about the fest! Take this short survey
2016 Highlight Video
Check out this amazing video created by Dan T. Brown highlighting our amazing artists, participants and volunteers.
35 illuminated projects were selected to showcase their talents and treasures along the Detroit River in the Windsor Sculpture Park.
Map and Project Details
Read our special e-blast
announcing the festival details.
Friday September 30 & Saturday October 1, 2016
4:00-11:00 p.m. as part of Culture Days
Windsor Sculpture Park
For additional information on the event, please contact:
Program Development Supervisor
Recreation + Culture, City of Windsor
2450 McDougall Street Windsor, ON N8X 3N6
(519) 253-2300 x 2746
Call for Creative Projects:
We asked for outdoor projects that transform and illuminate the Windsor Sculpture Park in new ways to inspire and engage the public in examining its cultural significance. Activities and opportunities for community engagement and hands-on experience always encouraged.
Potential projects include:
- Light, video or interactive installations
- Multimedia or interactive performances
- Works that utilize mobile performances
- Kid-friendly or educational workshops
- Sound or Performance Art
- The Unexpected
Public Information Session #1
Brainstorming Your Place in this Space
Wednesday, Jan. 13, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at ArtSpeak
- Do you have the drive and energy to create for the community?
- Learn how can you display or present new or existing work in the Sculpture Park
- Individuals and organizations – use this space to interact with the public; play a large game of duck, duck goose; showcase a snap-shot of an on-going performance or tribute to your favourite Sculpture
- Share your creative ideas for the park or brainstorm new ideas
This event was part of Back to the Drawing Board, ACWR’s annual think tank and community arts brainstorming program. Learn more about Back to the Drawing Board.
Public Information Session #2
Wednesday, February 10 - 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Hackforge
A free drop-in information session for creators, makers and artists applying to the w.a.v.e.s Festival. This session was held at Hackforge's location at 255 Ouellette Avenue in downtown Windsor.
The session included how to apply for funding for installations and projects, creative examples and Q&A.
Priority is given to proposals that demonstrate at least 3 of the following:
- New, contemporary artistic practices that reinforce Windsor’s reputation as a place for innovation.
- Reflect the City’s sense of place through its people, history, culture or topography.
- Celebrate/represent Windsor’s communities, creating opportunities for inclusion and diverse groups.
- Demonstrate how Windsor’s residents and visitors will be engaged in the activity.
- Initiate and implement programs to communicate and educate people about Windsor’s cultural scene.
Application Closed: March 31, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
Projects will be selected and announced by w.a.v.e.s. festival curators and the City of Windsor Cultural Affairs Team. Late applications will be received, but acceptance will be based on curated results and availability of space and notification will depend on date received.
w.a.v.e.s 2014 Festival Highlights:
To receive updates, please sign up for the Culture E-Blast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and continue to check back to this page.