About Ontario Works
What is Ontario Works?
Ontario Works is a program that helps people in need with:
- Employment assistance to find a job and develop job skills
- Basic financial assistance to cover necessities like food and housing while they look for work
- Health benefits including drug and dental coverage for you and your family
Ontario Works also provides additional benefits to recipients in order to enhance their quality of life, including:
Ontario Drug Benefit coverage
Emergency dental coverage for adults
Vision care coverage
Other benefits - please contact your caseworker to learn more.
To learn more about these benefits, visit the Ministry of Community and Social Services website.
The City of Windsor’s Employment and Social Services Department delivers Ontario Works to the people of Windsor and Essex County.
Who is Eligible for Ontario Works?
To be eligible for Ontario Works, you must:
- Live in Ontario,
- Need money right away to help pay for basic necessities like food and shelter, and
- Be willing to participate in activities that will help you find a job.
Your eligibility will be based on your financial situation and your willingness to take part in activities designed to help you find a job. When you apply, you will need to give information about your:
- Family size
- Housing costs
How Do I Apply for Ontario Works?
You can learn more about applying for Ontario Works by visiting Applying for Ontario Works.
Ontario Works Recipients
If you are receiving Ontario Works, please see Ways to Contact to find out how to get more information.