Uneven or Broken Sidewalks
- As a result of ground heave and tree roots, sidewalks sometimes become uneven or broken. Public Works staff fix "toe-stubbers" by placing asphalt or concrete, or by raising the sidewalk panel. If a panel is broken and cannot be fixed, it will be scheduled for replacement as part of the City's Sidewalk Replacement Program.
- If you find a "toe-stubber," please call 311 and give us a brief description (including the location) of the sidewalk so we can schedule the repair as soon as possible.
New Sidewalks - New Subdivision
- New sidewalks are required on one side of local streets and on both sides of artery and collector streets under the Official Plan. This is included in your sub-division agreement and on site plans of subdivision. To find out specific information about new sidewalks in proposed subdivisions, please call the development engineer at (519) 255-6257 ext. 6615.
New Sidewalks - Existing Area
- A local improvement petition request will be required to have a new sidewalk constructed in an existing area. To find out information about a local improvement petition, please call 311.
Sidewalk Rehabilitation List
- See the Construction page for a list of the upcoming projects.
- Walkway maintenance is included as part of the City's Sidewalk Maintenance Program.
- Wheelchair ramps are installed at all crosswalks with sidewalks in accordance with human rights legislation.
For more information, please see the Sidewalks Brochure.
Contracts, Field Services & Maintenance Division
1531 Crawford Avenue
Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays)
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6326.