Increase the Diversion Rate of Recyclable Material at all City Facilities
The following actions are needed to complete this objective:
- Undertake a corporate waste audit program and develop a corporate waste baseline, reduction targets and monitoring strategy.
- Publish waste audit results to City staff as part of a solid waste diversion education campaign.
- Install composters or digesters at select City facilities as pilot projects and monitor their success.
- Implement a standard recycling program for all City facilities that includes signage, containers and education.
- Provide training for facilities staff with respect to any changes in recycling procedures.
- Focus reminders and incentive programs on any problem areas.
- Encourage contractors and suppliers to make recycled-content products available.
- Use savings from waste prevention efforts to offset the costs of buying recycled products in those instances where they cost more.
- Continue to promote the use of municipal water.
These indicators show the progress the City is making to achieve this objective:
- Corporate waste diversion rate
For more information on Environmental Initiatives
- Phone: For general inquiries, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-253-7111 ext. 3226.
- Email: email@example.com