Objective C4: Expand Public Understanding of the Value of Natural Spaces and Native Plants
The following actions are needed to complete this objective:
- Undertake a Natural Capital Report to show the true value of natural space and trees.
- Develop an engagement strategy to improve community acceptance of naturalization programs, as well as using parks for short term rainwater storage.
- Promote the health benefits of using green spaces for accessible and safe physical activity.
- Promote the preservation and protection of our natural spaces including the Ojibway Prairie Complex, Peche Island, South Cameron Natural Area, Devonwood Conservation Area, etc.
- Promote the use of native plants in our parks, as well as to the public.
- Cultivate native plants in our greenhouses for use in parks, as well as for sale at the annual plant sale.
These indicators show the progress the City is making to achieve this objective:
For more information on Environmental Initiatives
Phone: For general inquiries, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-253-7111 ext. 3226.