Incorporate Cooling Designs and Features into Public Spaces to Protect Residents from Extreme Heat and Ultraviolet Radiation Exposure
The following actions are needed to complete this objective:
- Increase the number of artificial shade structures in public places.
- Plan for shade (shadow casting) to fall where needed during peak ultraviolet radiation exposure intervals.
- Improve access to drinking water facilities in public spaces.
- Consider the environmental and health effects of plastic, rubber or other materials when designing and installing
- playgrounds, splash pads and road medians.
- Increase the number of splash pads, cooling stations, water bottle re-fill stations and other water features in public places.
- Work with federal and provincial governments to maximize funding opportunities.
For more information on Environmental Initiatives
- Phone: For general inquiries, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-253-7111 ext. 3226.
- Email: email@example.com