Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer


What is hoarding?

Hoarding is temporary fencing/enclosure of the right-of-way for construction purposes (typically fencing, barrels, storage equipment, materials, vehicles).

Hoarding requires a review of a Traffic Control Plan or Pedestrian Control Plan by Transportation Planning.

One day or multiple days?

If the work is to be completed in one day (daylight hours only) a Day Road Closure Permit would be required from the Engineering Department after review is completed by the Transportation Planning Department.

For long-term closures (overnight), a hoarding permit is required.

Fees are calculated monthly based on the user fee schedule.


You can obtain information by calling (519) 255-6257 ext. 6359 or ext. 6483 and asking for "Permits" .

The following is required prior to issuance of a permit:

  • A scaled drawing of the area showing dimensions and area to be hoarded.  (Maximum drawing size - 11 in x 17 in)  The drawing may need to be signed by the City Engineer or Chief Building Official, their designates, or others depending on the extent. 
  • A copy of your insurance with a special endorsement approved by the Risk Management Department
  • Copies of the Special Endorsement, which can be obtained from the Engineering Department
  • Payment of fees

The permit can be taken out in the Contractor's name, however, the property owner(s) or their legal agent must sign the permit application, as any unpaid permit fees will be placed against the property as taxes. 


Day Closure: $212.00

Hoarding boulevard and/or sidewalk:  $0.75/linear foot/calendar month

In roadway:  $0.75/square foot/calendar month

Engineering Department
Development, Projects and Right-of-Way
350 City Hall Square West, 3rd Floor
P. O. Box 1607
Windsor, Ontario
N9A 6S1

Phone:  For general information, call 311.  For detailed inquires, call (519) 255-6257.
Email:  engineeringdept@citywindsor.ca