A marriage licence may be obtained from:
Vital Statistics c/o Office of the City Clerk
Office of the City Clerk, Council Services
Suite 110 - 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario, N9A 6S1
For general information, call 311.
Callers in the surrounding county can call 255-CITY (2489).
For detailed inquiries, call (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139.
Fax: (519) 255-6868
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding holidays). Please note, same day service to obtain a marriage licence is not available after 4:15 p.m.
Identification Required (2 pieces):
Bring two (2) original pieces of valid government issued identification from the list below for each applicant. One piece of identification must include your photo.
- With Photo
- Driver's Licence/Enhanced Driver's Licence
- Photo I.D. Card
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Nexus Card
- Armed Forces I.D. Card
- Native Status Card
- Record of Immigration Landing
- United States Green Card
- Without Photo
- Birth Certificate
- Change of name Certificate
- Immigration Status Papers (i.e. Record of Landing, Work Visa)
Photocopies are not accepted. Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator.
If you need an interpreter, he/she will be required to show the licence issuer one (1) piece of valid photo identification.
- Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 1607
Windsor, ON N9A 6S1
Phone: (519) 255-6100 ext. 6139
- If divorced in Canada, please bring the original divorce certificate, Divorce Nici, Decree Absolute or a certified court copy of divorce (not a photocopy).
- If divorced outside of Canada, please contact our office at:
(519) 255-6100, ext. 6139 or email email@example.com for further requirements.
- Prior to being married in the Province of Ontario, couples should be aware that a marriage must be solemnized under the authority of a Marriage Licence or the Publication of Banns.
- A marriage licence expires 3 months from the date of issue and is valid for use anywhere in Ontario.
- There is no waiting period once you obtain a marriage licence. You may get a licence right up until the same day of the wedding, however, if identification or documentation does not meet provincial requirements, there may be a delay in obtaining your marriage licence. To avoid disappointment, please allow sufficient time prior to your wedding day
- Persons of the same sex can obtain a marriage licence in Ontario.