Firefighter Recruitment - General Information
The Recruitment Process
Generally, City of Windsor Firefighter recruitment takes place on a two-year cycle. While hiring can take place at any point, applications during the two-year interval are only considered from those submitted during the most recent designated recruitment period.
The information contained on this website is meant to assist candidates interested in applying for the City of Windsor Firefighter recruitment. It is subject to change pending various factors involved in the recruitment process, budget, etc.
- The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) have recently been updated to reflect the upcoming Firefighter Recruitment Process. Information previously contained on this website regarding Firefighter recruitment may not have been applicable to the current recruitment process and should be disregarded.
The following outlines our anticipated process and the order in which we will complete this recruitment. Note that we have anticipated dates for each stage, providing applicants with a frame of reference on the anticipated recruitment. The City of Windsor's recruitment process is subject to change.
Wednesday, March 24, 2021, at 4:30 p.m. to
Tuesday, April 6, 2021, at 4:30 p.m.
Application Available Online
Visit Current Job Postings for the Firefighter Job Posting.
|Wednesday, March 24, 2021, at 12 p.m. (noon) to|
Tuesday, April 6, 2021, at 12 p.m. (noon)
Tuesday, April 6, 2021
||Applicant Registration/Payment - Online Written Testing
Wednesday, April 7, 2021, to Tuesday, April 13, 2021
Online Written Testing
(No alternate dates than those listed.)
|Friday May 7, 2021, to Wednesday, May 12, 2021|
||Post Written Test Results (pass/fail) on citywindsor.ca
||(Updated) Friday, May 21, 2021|
||Contact Applicants Eligible for Physical Fitness Testing
(Updated) Week of May 24, 2021
||Applicant Registration/Payment - Physical Fitness Testing
||(Postponed) To be determined|
Applicant Physical Fitness Testing
(No alternate dates than those listed.)
(Dates will only be added as necessary to accommodate candidate volumes.)
Toronto, Ontario (York University Only):
(Postponed) To be determined
||Post Physical Fitness Test Results (pass/fail) on citywindsor.ca
(Postponed) To be determined
||Short-listing of Candidates
||Monday, June 14, 2021 - until interviews are scheduled|
Held through mid June to mid August
||Offer of Employment
||Wednesday, August 18, 2021|
||Processing of Candidates Offered Employment
Monday, August 19, 2021, to Friday, September 3, 2021
Please note, failure to complete or pass any step will eliminate an applicant from the current competition.
Step 1 - Advertisement
The City of Windsor will advertise on the City of Windsor website online for the period of application.
Step 2 - Application available online
In order to apply for the Firefighter recruitment, applications will only be accepted online for the period of application availability as indicated in the table above. No late applications will be accepted.
Step 3 - Application review
- At the time of application, must be 18 years of age or older
- At the time of application, must have proof of an Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma or Ontario Ministry of Education equivalency and any other education documents deemed necessary by the Corporation at time of hire
- At the time of application, applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e., Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, legal permanent residence, birth certificate or landed immigration documentation)
- At the time of hire, must have proof of a valid and lawful Class "D" Ontario Driver's License with "Z" endorsement, in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act, for the purposes of operating a City of Windsor vehicle and provide a driver's abstract as a condition of employment
- Successful completion of an Aptitude Test, Assessment Test, Physical Test, and interview(s)
- Satisfactory police clearance at the applicant's expense at time of hire
- Satisfactory driver's abstract at the applicant's expense at time of hire
- Satisfactory references from current and/or previous employers at time of hire
- Satisfactory medical assessment as outlined by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standards 1582 for Firefighters at the Corporation's expense; and any other testing and/or examination, which may be required by the medical practitioner and/or determined by the City of Windsor at time of hire
- Compliance with the Family Relationship Procedure and the Employment Policy
- Satisfactory completion of a 12-month probationary period of employment
- Observance of the rules, regulations, instructions, benefits and any conditions governing employment with the Corporation as may be in effect at the time of recruitment and/or employment, or established by the Corporation of the City of Windsor at any subsequent time
All applications will be reviewed to ensure that the minimum eligibility requirements are met in order to move forward in the process. Those applicants who meet the initial requirements at the time of application will be contacted by the City of Windsor informing them of the next step(s) they will have to undertake in the process in order to continue in the competition.
Step 4 - Applicant Registration/Payment - Online Written Testing
The Cooperative Personnel Services (CPS) Entry Firefighter Test (Aptitude) will be conducted online in the time period as indicated above. Applicants will be required to have their own computer access with an internet connection in order to write the test.
For those who qualify, there is a fee to write the test. The non-refundable fee is $130.00 including H.S.T. for the written testing. Payment will be made in accordance with the procedures established by the service provider, Gledhill/Shaw Enterprises. Late payments will not be accepted. Applicants will be contacted by email with all of the details pertaining to the test registration and payment process.
Step 5 - Online Written Testing
Testing will take place according to the time schedule above. Applicants will be required to have their own computer access with an internet connection in order to write the test. For more information on the CPS-Entry Firefighter Test please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ
Step 6 - Post Written Test Results
Step 7 - Contact Applicants Eligible for Physical Fitness Testing
For those applicants who pass the written test, the City of Windsor will contact them with information regarding the Physical Fitness Test and the pertinent details of the test.
Step 8 - Applicant Registration/Payment - Physical Fitness testing
The non-refundable fee for this test is $250.00 including H.S.T. Payment will be made in accordance with the procedures established by the service provider, Gledhill/Shaw Enterprises. Late payments will not be accepted. Applicants will be contacted by email, telephone, or written correspondence with all details pertaining to test registration and the payment process.
Step 9 - Applicant Physical Fitness Testing
The Physical Fitness testing will take place during the dates indicated in the table above. The test will be the York University Firefighter Fitness Test developed by Dr. Norman Gledhill and will only be conducted at York University. Physical Fitness Testing will not be provided in Windsor. For more information on the Physical Fitness Test, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ
Step 10 - Post Physical Fitness Test Results
Step 11 - Short-listing of candidates
Windsor Fire & Rescue Services, in conjunction with the Human Resources department, will determine the number of candidates moving forward in the interview process. An interview(s) may not be offered to all candidates who have successfully passed the written and physical tests. The number of candidates short-listed for an interview will depend on the number of applicants, timelines, and budgetary considerations.
Step 12 - Interviews
The interview(s) will be conducted by a panel comprised of both Windsor Fire & Rescue and Human Resources personnel. Interview(s) will be conducted during the dates shown in the table above. For more information on the interview, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Step 13 - Offer of Employment
For more information on the Offer of Employment, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Step 14 - Processing of candidates offered employment
For more information on processing of candidates offered employment, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Step 15 - Hire Date - commencement of training program/probationary period
For more information on the commencement of the training program and probationary period, please review the appropriate section(s) in the Windsor Firefighter Recruitment FAQ page.
Windsor Fire & Rescue Services may select and recommend a certain number of applicants as Probationary Firefighter recruits. There is no guarantee that any given number will always be selected during each recruitment period. In fact, Windsor Fire & Rescue Services may not hire Probationary Firefighter recruits depending on budgetary and other factors.
For general information, contact 311.
For detailed inquiries, contact:
Human Resources Department
400 City Hall Square East, Suite 408
Windsor, Ontario N9A 7K6
Phone: (519) 255-6515
Fax: (519) 255-6504
TTY: (519) 255-6685