Temporary Care Assistance
Temporary Care Assistance is available to adults who will be taking care of a child for a short period of time, as the child will return to the care of his/her parents as soon as possible.
A child may be temporarily in the care of an adult for reasons including:
- Parent(s) temporarily unable to support the child financially
- Special circumstances (e.g. parent is in hospital for an extended period)
How Do I Apply for Temporary Care Assistance?
To get started, call 519-255-5600 or toll free at 1-866-925-2022.
Temporary Care Assistance Appointment
If you’re applying to be a temporary care provider for a child, please bring the items listed below to your appointment.
For the Child:
Please bring the following for each dependent child for whom you are applying as a Temporary Care provider:
- Proof of Date of birth for all temporary care children (birth certificates, school records, hospital records, etc.)
- Health Card numbers for all temporary care children
- Information about all temporary care children’s assets (current bank account balances and statements for the past sixty days, life insurance policies, investments, trust funds, vehicles, etc.)
- Information about all temporary care children’s income from all sources (this includes support payments, National Child Benefit Supplement [NCBS]/Child Tax Credit/Baby Bonus)
- Proof of Citizenship, landed immigrant status or refugee status for all temporary care children
- Verification of all temporary care children’s school attendance (timetables, attendance reports and report cards)
- Documentation of any custody arrangements through the Children’s Aid Society or the courts
- Verification of current address