Where to Buy Compost:
- Pre-bagged: $3.25 per bag or 4 bags for $11.00
- Bag Your Own: $4.00 per bag (we supply the yard waste bag, you bring the shovel. Bag holds approx 45-65 lbs)
- Bulk Loads: $13.50 per yard. Mechanical loading provided, please bring a tarp for your load.
- Delivery: Delivery is available for large quantities of compost by appointment only. Call 1-800-563-3377.
- Windsor, Essex, LaSalle and Tecumseh: $56.33 delivery, tax incl. + $13.50 per cubic yard of compost.
- Amherstburg, Leamington, Kingsville, Lakeshore: $96.05 delivery tax incl.+ $13.50 per cubic yard of compost.
Note: Prices are subject to change without notice. Call 1-800-563-3377 to confirm current pricing or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Backyard Composting: The Secret is in the Recipe.
- All you need is a 50:50 ratio of brown materials and green materials.
- Brown materials (carbon based) consist of items like leaves, sawdust, and straw, etc.
- Green materials (nitrogen based) consist of items like food scraps and garden waste, etc.
- Add some water to keep it moist, and remember to stir it up to add oxygen.
- Wait a few months, and you'll have gardener's gold: compost!
Some Acceptable Materials in Your Composter:
- Food: apples and peels, bananas and peels, beans, berries, bread, carrots, citrus rinds, coffee grinds and disposable filters, cucumbers, egg shells, grapes, lettuce, melon, onion, pears, pineapples, potatoes and peels, pumpkin, squash, tea leaves, teabags and zucchinis.
- Other: bone meal, blood meal, cornstalks, dryer lint, flowers, garden waste, grass (dried), hair, hay, leaves, peat moss, sawdust, soil, straw, string, vines, weeds (before seeding) and wood ash.
- No meat, dairy, oils or fish.
Note: this is not a comprehensive list. Other fruits, vegetables and organic material may be included in your backyard composter. Call Essex Windsor Solid Waste Authority at 1-800-563-3377 for info.
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call (519) 974-1010
Fax: (519) 944-3161