Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

Frequently Asked Questions


How will police, fire or medical emergency calls be handled?

  • In the case of police, fire or medical emergencies, the caller will be advised to hang up and call 911.  We are not able to transfer calls to 911 because transfers prevent the 911 system from being able to track the original caller's location.  If the individual is calling after hours, an automated message will advise them to call 911 in the case of a police, fire or medical emergency.

Will complaints require names?

  • Name, address and phone number will be required for some call types to allow for departmental follow-up. 311 will not require contact information unless the department responsible for the service request has indicated a need for it. Personal information is collected by 311 Call Operators under section 10(1) of the Municipal Act and will be used for the purpose of processing your call at the centre.  All personal information is protected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.  Questions about this collection may be directed to the Supervisor, 311 Call Centre.  Learn more at the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario website.

Is the call a free cell phone call?

  • Calls to 311 are regular billable calls.

Can someone only call from inside the city boundaries?

  • Callers can access the call centre by dialling 311 if they are within the city's boundaries.  However, callers outside the city can access the same call centre by dialling 519-255-CITY (2489) or 1-877-RING311 (746-4311).  See question below as well.

I'm in Windsor, so why do I just get a beeping signal when I dial 311?

  • If your business has its own phone switch or is part of a building that has its own switch, your telephone service provider must program the switch to recognize 311 as a valid number.  If this is not feasible, you can also reach the 311 call centre by dialling 519-255-CITY (2489).

Will 311 follow up on a citizen's request?

  • If a citizen calls 311 the operators can check the status of their request.  However, the task of ensuring that a job is completed will still reside with the appropriate department.

Are 311 calls monitored?

Is 311 accessible to callers with limited knowledge of English?

  • The City subscribes to a language interpretation service through Language Line Services. This allows operators to access interpretation in over 200 languages. 

How can I access 311 services?

  • You can reach 311 by the following methods:
      • Call 311 or 519-255-CITY (2489) or Toll Free 1-877-RING311 (746-4311)
      • Text to 311
      • Email to 311@citywindsor.ca
      • Online at www.311online.ca
      • Bell Relay Service is available to assist in placing a call from customers who use a TTY/teletypewriter.  For TTY, type 711 for the operator, and by telephone, dial 1-800-855-0511.

Does the City assist with accessible formats or communication supports if needed?

  • The Corporation of the City of Windsor will, upon request, provide or arrange for the provision of accessible formats and communication supports for persons with disabilities. It will consult with the person making the request in determining the suitability of an accessible format or communication support. It will provide the agreed upon accessible formats and communication supports:

         (a) in a timely manner that takes into account the person's accessibility needs due to disability; and

         (b) at a cost that is no more than the regular cost charged to other persons.

For detailed inquiries on accessibility or for accessible formats or communication supports, please contact:

Gayle Jones
Accessibility & Diversity Officer
Suite 408, 400 City Hall Square East
Windsor, Ontario  N9A 7K6
Email: gajones@citywindsor.ca
Phone: 519-255-6100 ext. 6601