The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for assessing and classifying more than five million properties in Ontario.
- The Windsor-Essex Assessment Office is located at:
- 1695 Manning Road, Unit 195
- Phone: 519-739-9920
Toll free: 1-877-517-7408
How you are assessed:
- The principal benchmark used to assess property is current value (market value, actual value).
- Current value is considered to be the most likely selling price a willing buyer would pay and a willing seller would accept in an open market, where both parties are under no pressure either to buy or sell the property.
- When fairly assessed, similar properties located in a similar area will be assessed at a similar rate, resulting in the payment of similar taxes.
- It is important to note that there are five (5) major factors which account for 85% of the home’s value
- 1. Location
- 2. Living area (square feet)
- 3. Age of the property
- 4. Lot size (lot dimensions)
- 5. Quality of construction
Every four (4) years, MPAC conducts a province-wide assessment update and mails property assessment notices (PANs) to every property in Ontario.
The next update was to have been completed in 2020, and every property owner in Ontario would have received a property assessment notice (PAN) from MPAC updating the value of their property based on a valuation date of January 1, 2019. Notices were expected to be delivered in the second half of 2020.
Under the phase-in provisions in the Assessment Act:
a) Increase in assessed value is introduced gradually over four years (25% each year).
b) Decrease in assessed value is introduced immediately.
Please note: As the assessment update was interrupted by COVID-19, the update has been put on hold until further notice. As a result, property values for 2021 will remain unchanged from their assessment value in 2020.
What if I disagree with my assessed value or classification?
Not satisfied with the result of your RfR?
You have 90 days after MPAC has notified you of it s decision on your RfR to file an appeal with the Assessment Review Board (ARB). The ARB is an independent tribunal of the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General and has its own appeal process. See Assessment Review Board or phone 1-800-263-3237.
MPAC provides an excellent tool called AboutMyProperty which enables the property owner to:
Learn how your property was assessed
Learn more about the relationship between property assessment and property taxation
Check the information MPAC has on file relative to your property
View and download a copy of your Property Assessment
Use an interactive map to compare your property to similar properties in your neighbourhood
How to switch school board support: