Paying Your Taxes
If you have any questions regarding your taxes, please call:
- 311 if you are within city boundaries
- (519) 255-2489 if you are outside city boundaries (or if you are calling from a business phone that has not been programmed to recognize "311")
- 1-877-746-4311 for toll-free long distance
A customer service representative will be available to answer inquiries at the Finance Office. Cash-debit payments, however, will not be accepted at the service counter.
We've made it easy and convenient for you to process your City of Windsor tax payments:
Approved Bank, Credit Union, or Trust Company
- Present the original tax billing with installment stub to any approved bank, credit union, or trust company in greater Windsor on, or before, the installment due date shown on the tax billing.
The following preferred payment options will continue to be offered:
- Submit payment by mail to:
- Tax Collector,
City of Windsor Finance Department
350 City Hall Square West, 4th Floor
Electronically (telephone, online banking)
Please use the 15-digit roll number as the account number (this can be found on the Property Tax Bill or Statement of Account).
Please contact your financial institution for further details with respect to telephone or online banking.
With Your Mortgage
- Pay with your mortgage: Please contact the company that holds your mortgage for details.
Pre-authorized Payment Plans
Who is eligible?
If your property tax payments are paid and up-to-date, you are eligible to enroll in this Plan. All arrears must be paid in full prior to enrollment in this plan. If you have taxes owing, please contact the City (as noted above, under "Paying Your Taxes") for information on the Pre-authorized Payment Plan for Tax Arrears.
- Pay using one of our three (3) pre-authorized payment plans:
- End of Month 10 Month Tax Payment Plan - Under this plan funds will be withdrawn automatically from your bank account in approximately 10 equal payments from February to November on the last business day of each month. Payments are not withdrawn in January or December,
- Mid Month 10 Month Tax Payment Plan - Under this plan funds will be withdrawn automatically from your bank account in approximately 10 equal payments from February to November in the middle of each month. Payments are not withdrawn in January or December, or
- Due Date Tax Payment Plan - Under this plan, funds will be withdrawn automatically from your bank account on the six (6) regular tax installment due dates which are usually February, March, April, July, September, and November.
- To begin your Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan, you must register five (5) business days prior to the next scheduled withdrawal date. Important: your taxes must be up-to-date prior to enrolling in the plan.
- Changing Banking Information? If at any time you wish to change the bank account from which your tax payments are being withdrawn, you must notify us in writing five (5) business days prior to the next scheduled withdrawal date. In the month of June, fifteen (15) business days notice is required for changes to the End of Month 10 Month Tax Payment Plan.
- Termination of Pre-Authorized Payment Plan - If at any time you are no longer responsible for paying the taxes on the property registered in this program (i.e., due to a sale of that property), you must notify us in writing that you wish to cancel the program five (5) business days prior to the next scheduled withdrawal date. In the month of June, fifteen (15) business days notice is required for cancellations to the End of Month 10 Month Tax Payment Plan.
Arrears Tax Payments
Please contact the City (as noted above, under "Paying Your Taxes") to receive special instructions and an application for tax accounts that are in arrears.
Because of the 1.25% per month (15% annualized) late charge, taxpayers are encouraged to seek alternate financing through options such as their financial institution. If this is not possible, please refer to the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan for Tax Arrears 5-year payment plan information flyer (PDF).
Drop-off boxes are available at the following locations:
- Two Drop-Off Boxes are available at City Hall: 1. One is located in the lobby of the Taxation & Compliance Office, Room 100. This is available between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. 2. The second drop-off box is located in the main lobby of City Hall, outside Room 100, and is available from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Thursday; and 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
- Customer Care Centres:
Hours of operation for Customer Care Centres are:
- Monday to Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Closed on Sunday and Statutory Holidays
*Please note: property tax payments made at drop-off boxes must be in a sealed envelope and the method of payment must be by cheque or bank draft only.
Note: If two (2) cheques are returned N.S.F (non sufficient funds), a certified cheque or bank draft/money order will thereafter be required to pay taxes. Additionally, an N.S.F. fee of $50.00 must be paid before any amounts can be applied to your outstanding taxes or other municipal fees.