Order of Business
The Mayor calls the meeting to order, a moment of silent reflection is observed and the following takes place in the order listed:
- The Minutes of previous meetings are adopted following any comments or questions that members of Council may have respecting their content.
- Communications are processed as indicated, if Council so directs. Council members frequently ask questions on individual communications.
- The preliminary 10-minute question period may, at the discretion of the Chairperson, be extended an additional 5 minutes. Each Councillor is limited to one question, and a supplementary question by the same member may be allowed at the Chairperson's discretion. Questions raised shall be of a general concern and on policy matters rather than special localized problems. Questions concerning the latter are allowed at the end of the meeting.
- The by-laws are given first and second readings (the third and confirming reading is given later on in the meeting).
- The Council goes into Committee of the Whole to discuss individual items and to consider special Committee reports.
- Delegations who wish to address Council must notify Council Services, (519) 255-6432, not later than 12 o'clock noon of the preceding Friday. Although delegations are listed by name on the agenda, no person may address Council until a resolution of approval is adopted.
- Five minutes are granted to regular delegations with a five-minute extension at the discretion of the Chairperson. Persons initiating an application to City Council are heard first, followed by delegations in opposition. The applicant then has the right to rebut. The time for rebuttal is limited to 5 minutes. However, the Chairperson, if requested by the delegation, may permit one further period of up to 5 minutes.
- Following completion of discussion in Committee of the Whole, the Council reverts to formal session and adopts all of the business approved during Committee of the Whole.
- By-laws are now given third reading and thus become law.
- Individual Council members give Notices of Motion, i.e. they state that they will, at the next Council meeting, propose a Motion on a particular subject. This provides the opportunity for other Council members to prepare comments respecting the proposed Motion. Additionally, at this point in the proceedings, Motions for which previous Notice has been given are discussed and voted on.
- Individual Council members address the Council on particular matters, and new items of business are introduced.
- The second Council question period takes place during which Council members will ask for reports or comments on a wide variety of issues.
- Finally, immediately before adjournment, third reading is given to the Confirmatory By-law of the Council proceedings, which ratifies all of the business that has been transacted at that particular Council meeting.
Council Services Department
Suite 530 - 350 City Hall Square West
Windsor, Ontario N9A 6S1
For general information, call 311.
For detailed inquiries, call Order of Business Coordinator at (519) 255-6222 ext. 6388 or
Fax: (519) 255-6868