Border Crossing Requirements
Skip to main content Skip to navigation Skip to footer

Border Crossing Requirements

As of June 1, 2009: Canadian citizens will be required to present one of the following U.S. WHTI-compliant (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) documents when travelling to, through or from the United States by land (original documentation, no photocopies):

  • A passport; or
  • A NEXUS card; or
  • A Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
  • An enhanced driver's license (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program is in place
  • A Secure Certificate of Indian Status

The list of ID requirements above is only a summary and details should be verified by the relevant federal agency. 

If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you should bring your Permanent Resident Card (i.e. green card) with you.

For more information visit:
U.S. Department Of State or specific travel to Canada information; or
Canada Border Services Agency 
or call U.S. Immigration at (313) 963-4408 / (313) 568-6020, or Citizenship & Immigration Canada Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.

Related Link:

Transit Windsor
3700 North Service Road East
Windsor, Ontario
Canada   N8W 5X2

Phone: For detailed inquiries, call 519-944-4111.  For general inquiries, call 311.
Fax: 519-944-5121

 Related Links