Waste Reduction and Elimination: Recycling
Please recycle. By recycling in your home, you have the power to reduce your garbage by as much as 25 percent.
- Recycle these materials only: See our Recycling Guide Brochure and list below.
- If you are holding a special event and would like to provide recycling at your event, please contact Essex Windsor Solid Waste Authority at 519-776-6441 ext. 1395 or 1-800-563-3377 to arrange for this free service, or download the Special Event Requisition Form and fax it to 519-776-6370. Website: www.ewswa.org
- Food and beverage cans - Rinse and flatten.
- Glass jars and bottles - Lids must be removed, and recycle metal lids as well.
- Plastic bottles and jugs - Rinse and flatten. Remove plastic caps, and recycle caps as well.
- Plastic tubs and lids - Includes margarine, sour cream, yogurt, ice cream, spreads and dips. Lids must be removed, and recycle lid as well.
- Aluminum foil - Loose sheets, aluminum trays, pie plates. Plates and trays flattened, foil rolled into a ball.
- Polycoat beverage cartons and Tetra Paks - Milk, juice, and creamer cartons; juice boxes; broth cartons; soup cartons, etc. Rinse, flatten and place loose in the blue box.
- Clamshells, trays and cups - Clear plastic containers, trays, clamshells, cups, plastic (fruit) baskets, etc. Rinse, flatten and place loose in the blue box.
- Empty paint and aerosol cans - All cans must be empty. Remove metal lids and place cans loose in the blue box. Remove and discard plastic lids. No plastic cans.
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogues and phone books - Bundle or place in paper bags beside your red box.
- Cardboard and boxboard - Flatten and tie into 30-inch x 30-inch x 8-inch bundles
- Junk mail, phone books, writing and computer paper, envelopes - Place in paper bags beside your red box.
- Reduce your junk mail - You can reduce your unsolicited address mail by registering to the Canadian Direct Marketing Association's Do Not Mail Service.
- Please help increase collection efficiency and reduce costs:
- Put recyclables in a common location with your neighbour.
- Keep all materials away from parked cars.
- Bring excess material to the Public Drop Off Depot (North Service Road East and Central).
- Separate your recyclables at home. Containers only in your blue box and paper only in your red box.
- Remember - It's your red and blue boxes that signal the collection driver to stop. Place your recycle boxes in a visible location at the curb.
- Treat your workplace like your home: recycle!
Public Works, Environmental Division
3540 North Service Road East
Phone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call 519-974-2277 ext. 3121.