Painted steel, 275 x 100 x 50 centimetres each
Morton's Katz's Sisters positions itself on the border between objective and subjective truths. Though both sisters are constructed out of the same essential steel template, each form is defined by its own posture. Each sister possesses a distinct personality representing the important individuality that characterizes every faithful relationship with God. Spiritual leadership is apparent in the strength of the mother superior figure, which is located just slightly ahead of her companion. Each sculpture portrays a distinct model for a life in prayer and service. In this abstracted black sculpture, the concept of faith is presented in its most human terms.
Though the material, the colour and the template remain objective and constant, each piece must channel these materials in its own way. Each one is literally bent into its own personal subjectivity. The sculpture also serves as an important historic marker, honouring the long tradition of presence and personal strength displayed by the Ursuline Sisters who owned and operated Glengarda Centre and School on this land from 1935 to 1996.
About Morton Katz
Morton Katz began his career as an architect and held a professorship at the University of Toronto Faculty of Architecture for 10 years. During that time, sculptures became a natural, creative extension of his profession. He has exhibited at major Toronto Galleries, including The John Black Aird Gallery, The Sculptor's Society of Canada Gallery, The Koffler Gallery and the Ontario Association of Architects Gallery. His work is featured in private collections across the United States and Canada and has also appeared at the Art Dialogue Gallery in Buffalo, New York, as well as the Vineland Sculpture Garden in Vineland, Ontario. Katz continues to work in the field of architecture while also maintaining lecturing positions at the Avenue Road Art School, and the Art Centre, Central Technical School. Morton Katz is the past president of the Sculptor's Society Canada and the director of the Canadian Sculpture Centre.