City Twinning Policy
The "twin city" or "sister city" model is based on people-to-people relationships. Therefore, the following criteria should be met prior to any consideration for twinning:
- Request for twinning should be community driven, supported by a formal organized cultural/ethnic association and must demonstrate that a sustainable relationship can be maintained
- Legitimate and active organizational structure should exist in the related ethnic community to support twinning activities (i.e. hosting visiting delegations, providing translation services, conducting meetings/tours/receptions with their business community).
- The proposed twin city should demonstrate certain identifiable similarities or mutual interests with potential for reciprocal cultural, educational and economic benefits
- Details of proposal must be submitted in writing to the Mayor of Windsor, outlining a long-term plan and the community's responsibility for sustaining ongoing activities
- If recommended by the International Relations Committee and approved by council, a formal letter of interest is to be forwarded to the mayor of the proposed twin city.
- If the proposed twin city approves Windsor's proposal, a formal signing protocol will be arranged.
- The twinning charter can be dissolved upon the mutual agreement between the twin cities.
City of Windsor
Council Services Department
350 City Hall Square West, Room 530
Telephone: For general information, call 311. For detailed inquiries, call the committee coordinator at (519) 255-6222 ext. 6430
Fax: (519) 255-6868